Alzheimer's Society: Dementia Support Team
The Dementia support service provides one-to-one support to people with dementia, carers and family members. The service provides information and practical support to help them understand more about dementia, and gives support enabling people to live well with dementia.
The service aims to ensure that people living with dementia, carers and family members:
- have accurate, clear, relevant and useful information that is easy to understand
- feel they understand more about dementia and the diagnosis and have an improved knowledge of living with dementia
- feel they have improved knowledge of other services available to them and have been enabled to access other support services
- feel less isolated
- feel supported to maintain independence, make choices and be in control of their lives
- feel they have been listened to and that any questions have been answered adequately
- feel that the service has helped them at difficult times to prevent crisis situations
- feel empowered to have accessed and built wider support networks
- feel they have learnt better coping strategies.
Dementia support is provided by paid dementia support workers. Dementia support workers do not carry out the same role as social workers or community psychiatric nurses, but may complement their work.
We will continue to support individuals until we have met their support needs and carried out agreed actions. However, they can come back to the service anytime in the future.
Who to contact
Where to go
85-89 Cross Street
- M33 7HH
- View M33 7HH on a map
- Associated Cost
- No charge
- Age Ranges
- Referral required
- Referral Details
We accept professional and self referrals.
For Manchester & Salford referrals, post to Alzheimer's Society Manchester.
Fill out one of our referral forms (see attached documents). We have one referral form for people with dementia, and a different one for carers of people with dementia. This can be emailed or posted to the appropriate office – email completed referral forms to Lisa.
Alternatively contact Lisa by phone.
- Other notes
Eligibility - To use the Dementia support service, individuals must: • live in Manchester, Salford or Trafford • have a diagnosis of dementia or care for a person with a diagnosis of dementia • live in their own home or the home of their carer • be an adult, aged over 18 years.