British Gas Energy Trust, incorporating the Scottish Gas Energy Trust, is an independent charitable Trust funded solely from donations from British Gas. The Trust contributes to the relief of poverty, with a particular focus on fuel poverty.
The Trust helps families and individuals experiencing hardship who are struggling with gas and electricity debts by awarding grants to clear those debts. This makes a significant difference to the lives of thousands of people each year, helping them get back on their feet and remain debt free going forward.
The Trust also funds organisations across England, Wales and Scotland to provide fuel debt and money advice services within communities.
Who can apply
Both customers and non-customers of British Gas can apply.
- Receive money advice before applying
- Have a net income below £13,260 per year
- Demonstrate exceptional/multiple vulnerabilities within households
What can I apply for?
The Trust can help people through giving grants to:
- Clear arrears of gas and electricity debt
- Help with other essential household bills or costs (Further Assistance Payments)