People First Community Support

Who can apply?

Manchester residents or those with a local connection aged 16+ with mental health issues, who are at risk of losing their accommodation, and/or need short term support to help them maintain or establish their independence. We also provide resettlement support to people moving on to independent living who have experienced issues with alcohol and drug use, homelessness and or offending behaviour.

What support do we offer?
We offer a range of services depending on people’s needs, aspirations and individual circumstances. Support is recovery focused and can be provided within the client’s own home. It is tailored to their assessed and agreed needs, which are reviewed regularly. Amongst other things, we may help with:

Managing Mental Health
o Supporting people in recovery, monitoring health and wellbeing, managing symptoms of depression, anxiety, emotional issues.

Managing Physical Health & Self Care
o Support and advocacy at medical appointments, diet planning, smoking cessation, safeguarding from harm (others and self), eating problems, aids and adaptations.

Accommodation & Living skills
o Living independently, finding and managing a home, paying rent and bills, as well as advice and support with repairs, benefit claims, filling in forms, managing money, cooking, shopping and staying safe.

Social Networks – leisure, cultural, faith
o Improved Health and Well-being. Support to take part in activities such as volunteering or classes, contact with outside agencies, taking part in activities, being part of a group/club and increase community involvement.

Work – training, education, employment
o Support to become ready for work and with finding paid work, help with preparing CVs, access to volunteering opportunities, college courses and work placements/training.
o Building and maintaining a positive network of support including encouraging contact with family and family.
Addictive behaviour
o Support and signposting around drug and alcohol use, or other issues such as gambling, eating disorders. Reducing harm to self and others.

o Advice on reducing/managing debt, compliance with statutory orders, getting on with neighbours, staying away from criminal activity and violence.
o Assistance in gaining access to local community services such as counselling, befriending, peer support, translation and interpretation, education. Signposting to other providers such as Community Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug teams, Primary Health Care, Adult Social Care and Welfare Advisors.

Identity and Self esteem
o Advice on confidence building and reducing social isolation.
Trust and Hope
o Developing coping skills and emotional resilience.

How long does the support last
This depends on people’s needs, but could be up to 3 months and in some cases longer (up to a maximum of 6 months). Withdrawal is planned and negotiated with the client.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Andrew Barker or Claire Bates
Contact Position
Project Manager
0161 235 6900 0161 235 6900
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

People First Housing Association
1 City Road
City Road East
M15 4PN
View M15 4PN on a map


Referral required
Referral Details

Referrals can be made by a wide range professions from organisations, such as: adult social care, housing providers, health and probation services, other statutory bodies and voluntary sector agencies. Alternatively, a family member or friend could refer. We also accept self-referrals and all people who meet the eligibility criteria are welcome to apply. We do not operate any automatic exclusions, but the manageability of any risks will need to be considered. 

Referral forms can be obtained by contacting the office by mail, email or telephone. 

Other notes

What is the aim of Community Support?
To offer support for people in their recovery from mental ill health or resettlement into an independent tenancy.

To Link in with other services and the resources within the community to identify opportunities for people to link with the communities they live and have their own networks (family, friends, peers, community groups) in place in order to remain safe and well in the long term without the need for floating support.

To provide housing related support to help individuals gain the skills and the motivation to maintain their accommodation and actively contribute to their communities.

Assist people to remain living in their own accommodation and ensure the support and resources are in place to give their tenancy the best chance of success in the long term.

Last Updated

Last updated:


Save to Shortlist
Is the information on this page correct? If not, please let us know.