Specialised Ability Centre
The Specialised Ability Centre Manchester (SAC) opened its doors in August 2014. It replaces the Disablement Services Centre formerly on Cavendish Road in Withington.
Amputee and Prosthetics Service
Telephone: 0161 611 3700.
A comprehensive one stop for amputee/limb loss assessment and rehabilitation.
- The sub-regional centre provides care for patients from the whole of Greater Manchester and East Cheshire Boroughs.
- The centre has the largest specialist team of consultants. Other team members include an Associate Specialist, Counsellor, Physiotherapists, occupational Therapists, Nurses and Prosthetists.
- The prosthetic work is carried out in partnership with Opcare, a leading prosthetic provider offering innovative prosthetic technology and non-prosthetic solutions for all service users.
- Prosthetics limbs are cast, measured and manufactured on site to enable a fast turnaround for delivery.
- The centre also runs fortnightly District Clinics in Bolton, Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Manchester Royal Infirmary and Wythenshawe Hospital.
Referrals are received from Consultants, therapists and GPs.
Fax: 0161 611 3785.
Wheelchair Service for Manchester (North, Central and South) and Trafford
Telephone Number: 0161 611 3800
- We improve mobility, posture and seating through wheelchairs and special seating for around 11,000 users in the Manchester and Trafford areas.
- The team consist of a Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Rehabilitation Engineers and highly skilled technicians.
- The service treats all ages of people who have permanent mobility problems, providing a wide range of wheelchairs from that of an active user to those with severe postural needs.
- The team aim to provide appropriate equipment in a timely manner and work closely with schools and therapy teams.
- Bespoke, special seating is available where required and is manufactured on site.
- A mobile assessment unit is available for those who are unable to travel.
Referrals are accepted from GPs and any health professional.
Fax: 0161 611 3761.
- A satellite clinic for the service and the main Wythenshawe Hospital site, providing an orthotic service to amputees who attend the centre. This includes partial foot amputations.
- The service is accessible for both adults and children.
- The orthotist will assess, measure and fit all types of orthotic devices to include footwear, inlays, all types of joint orthoses, protective helmets and graduated support hosiery.
- A review, maintenance and repair service is available.
Referrals are accepted from GPs, any health professional and from clinicians within SAC.
Telephone: 0161 611 3724
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- District Liaison Officer
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
- Specialised Ability Centre
- M22 4NY
- View M22 4NY on a map
- Age Ranges
- No specific age