First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability)

Parents whose children have special educational needs can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) against decisions made by Local Education Authorities in England about their children's education.

You can appeal if the local authority:
• refuses to secure an EHC needs assessment of the child’s special educational needs, following a request by the parents or the educational provision;
• refuses to secure an EHC plan, after concluding an EHC needs assessment;
• refuses to arrange a reassessment of the child’s special educational needs (following a request by the parent or child’s school) if the local authority has not made an assessment for at least six months;
• decides to stop maintaining the child’s EHC plan;
• decides not to replace or amend the EHC plan following a review;
• decides not to change the EHC plan after reassessing the child; or
• has made an EHC plan or has amended or replaced a previous EHC plan and you disagree with one or all of the following:

  • the part which describes the child’s special educational needs.
  • the part which sets out the special educational provision (help) that the local authority thinks the child should receive.
  • the educational provision or type of educational provision named in the EHC plan.
  • the local authority not naming a school in the EHC plan.

Click on the link to the website for further guidance and the forms you will need.

If you need help or advice about making an appeal, you can contact SENDIAAS Manchester.

Who to contact

Contact Name
First Tier Tribunals (SEND)
01325 289 350 01325 289 350
First Tier Tribunal - website
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

HM Courts & Tribunals Service
First-tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability
1st floor, Parkgate
View DL1 1RU on a map

Last Updated

Last updated:


Save to Shortlist
Is the information on this page correct? If not, please let us know.