Are you living with long-term health conditions?
You are not alone.
Over fifteen million people in the UK live with a variety of medical conditions which can affect how you “Live Your Life” day to day.
You may find attending the NHS Expert Patients Programme, as part of your health care pathway a beneficial way to improve your overall health and well-being.
The Expert Patients Programme is designed to support people with long-term conditions to regain as much control over their physical and emotional well-being as possible. People in this situation have said they often need to develop different ways to cope, as they may have regular discomfort, pain or may not be able to do the things they used to do or would like to do.
The Expert Patients Programme can help you to feel positive about the future and develop the confidence to manage your health.
Feedback from patients who have attended the Expert Patients Programme have said, they;
- Feel they have greater confidence in dealing with health problems
- Feel day to day living is not such big deal
- Feel more in control
- Experience less pain and fatigue, depression and anxiety
- Are more likely to continue with activity and relaxation techniques
- Have more positive outcomes and actions at GP and health care appointments
- Have better communication with health professionals
- Feel more confident discussing symptoms and medications with Drs and other health professionals
How long is the course?
- It is delivered once a week for 6 weeks
- Each session last for 2 ½ hours – with a refreshment break
- Group session – so you know you’re not alone
- It is an evidence based self-management programme
- It is FREE to all patients who live in Manchester
- Delivered at local venues across Manchester
Why dose the course work so well?
Many individuals have said even though they have different conditions they share many of the same problems, for example;
- When you can’t do what you used to and your family and friends don’t understand
- We can get angry, frustrated when we can’t do what we used to be able to do
- it can affect our jobs or ability to work
- Our mobility can be a problem,
- We can feel low and isolated or a burden on our loved ones