At Derian House we help children and young people, whose lives are too short, to make happy memories in an environment of fun, respect and above all, high quality care.
We provide respite and end-of-life care to more than 400 children and young people across the North West. We do this 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We never close to those who need us.
Our ethos is to make sure that every child and young person who comes to Derian is able to make the very most of the time they have.
The hospice has a hydrotheraphy pool, sensory room, soft play, large inclusive playground suitable for wheelchair-users, and a sensory garden full of the sights, smells and textures of nature.
We also have regular visits from a music therapist and Shuna, our pet therapy dog. Our staff lead frequent trips to the zoo, seaside, local parks, and other days out following the interests of the children.
At Derian the whole family is offered a framework of support; with support for siblings, a grandparents bereavement group, and counselling sessions for families for as long as they need it.
Despite the nature of our work, Derian House is not a sad place; our corridors are full of joy and laughter as we do everything in our power to make sure our children and their families make precious memories together.
Every year we provide
- Care for more than 400 children and young people
- 2,200 nights of respite care
- 100 nights of care in our Sunflower Rooms where children can rest before their funeral
- 35 hours of music therapy
- 250 hours of weekly clubs during school holidays
- Day trips for more than 35 young people and their siblings
- 1,500 hours of day care
- 450 hours of pool fun in hydrotherapy and family splash sessions
- 800 hours of family-supervised play visits
- 1,100 Derian at Home visits from our ‘hospice at home’ team
- 190 sessions of bereavement counselling
To access Derian House services, you must be referred, either by a professional or through our self-referral process. To find out if you may be eligible for our services, give us a call on 01257 233 300.
For more information, please see our website https://www.derianhouse.co.uk/