The School Health Service supports all school aged children including those with identified physical and mental health and emotional health needs. Working in partnership with children and young people, parents/carers, education colleagues and other partners to ensure that advice and support and referrals to other services are available as needed.
The School Health Service consists of:
- 2 School Nursing teams known as Healthy Child Programme North Team and Healthy Child Programme South Team. The teams consist of qualified nurses and support workers who deliver the core elements of the Healthy Child Programme 5-19 (2009) and includes delivering public health messages through classroom based teaching and individual support sessions. School Nurses offer suppport and advice for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.
North Healthy Child Programme Team - New Moston Library - 0161 241 2813
South Healthy Child Programme Team - Wythenshawe offices - 0161 946 8239
- Vulnerable School Children Team consists of qualified nurses and a support worker who offer support and guidance on physical, emotional and mental health for any child or young person who is subject to a child protection plan.
Alexandra Park Health Centre – 0161 209 9556
- Immunisation Team consists of qualified nurses and support workers who deliver the national immunisation programme for school aged children [with the exception of the flu vaccine]. The team visits over 40 educational establishments across the city and also provide immunisation clinics during holiday times. Click here to find out more about the NHS vaccination schedule for children and young people.
Parkway 5, Parkway Business Centre – 0161 674 0472
- Screening Team consists of support workers who are trained to deliver the National Child Measurement Programme and offer important hearing and eye tests for reception aged children.
Alexandra Park Health Centre – 0161 209 9972
A confidential and anonymous text messaging service for young people aged 11-16 to text the school health service for help and support with their health needs.
Contact: 07507330205 [text only]
- Healthy Schools Team
Healthy Schools works to improve the health and wellbeing of pupils across Manchester through training, guidance and resource development. Schools identify their health priorities using an online health check. Once completed, the team of health improvement specialists provide support across key health areas including:
- Relationships and Sex Education
- Drug and Alcohol Education
- Healthy Lifestyles
- Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Social and Emotional Health
- Unintentional Injury Prevention
The team promote a whole-school approach and create tailored action plans which meet the needs of individual school communities.
- Healthy Weight Team
The Manchester Healthy Weight Team provide a city-wide weight management service to children in nursery and reception who are identified as severely obese. The team includes school nurses, health visitors, a dietitian and support workers. Families are provided with advice and support around diet, physical activity and behaviour change, in line with NICE guidance.
Contact: Wythenshawe Offices, firstname.lastname@example.org