Skip to main content

Short Breaks

During COVID-19

  • Short Break Reviews can be done over the phone.
  • Families just need to call 0161-219-2125 during the dedicated Drop In times
  • The SRT worker will call them back if they prefer.

Manchester City Council provides a range of Short Break services for disabled children and young people with Special Educational Needs, rare disorders and chronic medical conditions age 0 - 17 years inclusive.You can also view our range of Short Break Approved Providers, which you can contact directly.

If you need further information about any of the below, contact the Specialist Resource Team on 0161 219 2125.

Improving Short Breaks for SEND in Manchester

This survey is intended for families in receipt of a specialist Short Breaks package.

View all services in this category

What is a short break?

A short break can range from an activity which lasts an hour or two through to a few days away from home, and includes day, evening, overnight, weekend and holiday activities. These activities provide a positive experience for the child as well as giving parents and carers a break from their caring duties.

Is there an eligibility criteria?

Yes, the attached Eligibility Criteria for Short Breaks is used to identify eligibility for short breaks (see the downloads section on this page).

How do I apply? New referrals for short Breaks

If your child has never been in receipt of a Short Break, you can self-refer by calling our Contact Centre on 0161 234 5001.

How do I apply? Existing short Breaks

If a child is already in receipt of a non-specialist short break, you can attend a Short Break Review Morning for a review. Here are the January-March 2021 dates and April-June 2021 dates for north, south and central. 

If you are looking for general advice and not a review you can attend a MPCF and SEND Coffee morning. Please see the SEND Local Offer Drop In page for details of the next session

If your child has a specialist package, the social worker should arrange the review.

What if I am unhappy with the decision from the Specialist Short Break Panel?

If you are unhappy with the decision made at a Specialist Short Break Panel, you can appeal. This is the process: 
You'll need to contact your social worker who will arrange for your case to be resubmitted. 
You'll just need to explain why you are unhappy with the decision, and include any information which needs to be considered.
If you remain unhappy with the decision following the appeal, you can follow the usual complaints procedure whereby a further investigation will take place.