Skip to main content

Caring for someone? - how to access a carers assessment

Caring can take a variety of forms, including preparing meals, doing shopping, taking someone to appointments, managing finances, bathing or toileting, giving medication or emotional support, or doing laundry.

If you support a relative, friend or neighbour, due to their age, physical or learning disability, mental illness or substance misuse (drugs or alcohol) and you are not paid for the support you provide, you can get advice and support to help you in your caring role.

The Carer’s Assessment lets you explain how caring impacts on your health and wellbeing, and helps you consider what would happen if you were unable to care for whatever reason, including developing a Carer’s Emergency Plan.

Young carers under 18 are also entitled to a Carer’s Assessment. We understand the specific challenges faced by young people who care and our specialist workers can give you advice and support as well as putting you in touch with other young carers.

You could see yourself as a carer if:

- You support someone on a regular basis

- You are not paid for the care you provide, other than receiving benefits.

- You may be supporting your partner, disabled child, adult child, sibling, parent, in-law, neighbour and/or friends

- You may be supporting more than one person in your caring role

- You could be supporting that person in a variety of ways, providing emotional support, practical and/or physical support

- The person you care for may have a learning disability, physical disability, mental health problem, drug or alcohol problem or be frail due to illness.

If you are a carer for a disabled child, you will normally be referred to the Specialist Resource Team who will use an Early Help Assessment to identify support or help that is needed.

There are two ways to arrange a carers assessment. Visit Connect to Support to complete the online self-assessment tool. Alternatively, if you cannot complete the online form you can call Contact Manchester on 0161 234 5001 who can go through this assessment with you.

For general advice, you can contact the Carers' Centre on 0161 272 7270.